Sunday, May 5, 2013

Krushing the Giro: Stage 2

"Woohoo!"

So, I'm writing this the night of May 4th, which of course means I'm writing before the TTT takes place on Sunday, the 5th. Why am I doing this? Because I am so sure the TTT is going to be a snooze-fest, it doesn't really matter when I write it, the post will basically be the same.

Why do I hate time trials? I'm asked that question all the time. By "all the time" I mean once every few years, when I meet a person that cares enough about my opinion on anything, much less cycling. Well, the answer is simple: they are plain BORING. Especially at the beginning of a Gran Tour. Of course things could happen that could change the outcome of the race overall. A whole team could go down and lose 3 minutes ruining their leader's chance in the GC, but how often does that happen, and more importantly, how exciting is it to watch live? Personally I don't find it interesting at all.

There is those few times when a TT may be interesting, but a few things have to be going on: First, it has to be in the last week of the race, otherwise who cares. Second, there has to be a legitimate chance for the podium positions to change, otherwise, X rider from X team breaking into the top ten is as exciting as a dance at a retirement home, you hope someone will fall to make it worth watching. Third, the course or weather have to be difficult. Two specific TTs come to mind right off the bat, the 1989 LeMond/Fignon battle and the 2009 final TT in the Giro, where Menchov crashed. And even then only the last 30 minutes where worth watching. Even with tomorrow's (I mean today's) course being hilly and a little tricky, let's be honest; it is not gonna be anywhere in the neighborhood of those, dare I say, epic time trials. Let the guys go head to head, one on one in person. It's ALWAYS more exciting that an endless parade of guys riding funny looking bikes in stupid looking hats.

LeMond, 1989

All that being said, I will watch the stage, try not to fall asleep too much and bring you this titillating report. Note that all text in black was written tonight, before watching the stage. Text in orange is what I filled in after waking up from the nap that will surly ensue at some point. Probably when a team as enthralling as Bardiani hit the first check point. Ooooooh... can not wait.

Today's stage went pretty much as predicted with Team Sky taking the victory and putting Salvatore Puccio  in the Maglia Rosa.

Thank you for reading.

Randomness:

- Sponsor spotlight: Estathè - Iced tea and beverage company
- Mario Cipollini mention counter: 1
- Helmet talk counter: 4
- Euskaltel guys on the deck counter: 2
- Stage winner wearing cycling cap / baseball hat counter / no hat: 0 / 1 / 0


3 comments:

  1. Krusher;
    good stuff. i especially appreciate the statistical tabulations at the end of each day's post, but find myself somewhat distressed by the "Euskatel guys on the deck" counter. you could also add a counter for "too much awkward crap" when the riders are forced to juggle endless stuffed animals, bouquets, trophies, etc. while on the podium.

    none the less looking forward to the next installment and hopefully some insight into the lesser competitions within the race, most notably the "Fuga Pinarello Classification"... (spotted Wiggs on his new Pinarello Bolete today, but what the hell is a Fuga?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fuga is Italian (and Spanish) for "leak" or "breakaway."

      Delete
    2. Oh, and thanks for the kind words! I hope I can keep it up.

      Delete