Sunday, May 19, 2013

Krushing the Giro: Stage 15

Betancur takes over the White Jersey
I'm feeling pretty lazy this morning. I went to see Ghost live last night, so I'm tired and a little hung over. Therefore, I don't feel like searching through stats to see if Betancur finishing second AGAIN is some sort of record. It must be. This kid was second on stage 9, stage 10, third on stage 14 and again second today. He took over the White Jersey, too. Bananito is making moves. Also of note, Fabio Duarte finally showing his face coming in fifth.

I've made it perfectly clear before that I hate it when riders neutralize a race. I understand if it's done out of respect, like the stage after Wouter Weylandt's death in 2011, but when it's done in the name of "safety," that's just silly. A race is a race and if you feel that the conditions are unsafe, then YOU slow down and let the guys with bigger balls than you beat you. These guys are professionals and are being paid to RACE. If some sort of deal is struck between some of the teams and they decide not to race, fine, BUT insulting a rider who decides to do what all of them are there to do, is unacceptable and it hurts our sport.

Ballsy performance by the three-time Italian champion
What can I say about Visconti's ride today? Snow, cold, Galibier, tears... Dare I say "epic"?

I sent a special thanks to Rapha for supplying Sky with real cycling caps, today I wanna thank the organizers of the race for making the stage happen.


Randomness:

- Mario Cipollini mention counter: 5
- Helmet talk counter: 14
- Euskaltel guys on the deck counter: 3
- Stage winner wearing
     Cycling cap: 1 (Uran)
     Baseball hat: 10
     No hat: 1
     Visor: 1




1 comment:

  1. Gotta say... those adult braces make Betancur look GANGSTA!

    ReplyDelete