Saturday, October 27, 2012

Movistar Signs Young Colombian Argiro Ospina



21-year-old Argiro Ospina has signed for Movistar,for the 2013 season.

Argiro Ospina is the latest Colombian to sign for a ProTour team for the 2013 season. Argiro (pronounced Ar-hero) had a great 2012 with the Aguardiente Antioqueño-Lotería de Medellín team, winning the Queen Stage of the Vuelta al Tolima and racing an impressive Clasico RCN, where he won the 7th stage in style. In 2011 he won the overall in the Vuelta de Higuito (in Costa Rica), where he also won a stage. After only 2 seasons as a pro, his palmares may be short, but his riding style obviously caught the eye of Eusebio Unzué. With the help of Sergio Henao and Rigoberto Uran, Ospina and Unzué met and the deal to bring another Colombian to Movistar was signed.




Helloooo Ladies! Ospina poses after his win in this year's Clasico RCN.

After the deal was announced, Ospina released this statement:
"I am very happy, I have fulfilled one of my dreams. I want to thank Hector Manuel Castaño and Carlos Mario Jaramillo (Sporting directors for the Aguardiente Antioqueño team), who helped me from the beginning, and the Aguardiente Antioqueño-Lotería de Medellín. I signed a two-year contract so I know the team believes in me. I hope to adapt quickly to European racing and make Colombia proud."

Wearing the Leader's Jersey at the Vuelta Higuito in 2011

Ospina is 21 years old, born in the small town of Nechí, in Antioquia, and currently lives in Medellin. He comes from a cycling family. His brother Carlos Ospina is the Colombian National TT Champion and a member of the national track team. Before the start of the 2013 season, he will move to Pamplona, where he will live with Nairo Quintana, Rigoberto Uran and Sergio Henao.

1 comment: